Registering French commercial van with basic camper build

Iniciado por Seebop, Junio 11, 2022, 14:52:23 pm

Tema anterior - Siguiente tema

Seebop

Hey all, have a question about importing a French vehicle after becoming Spanish resident. It's registered as a commercial van and I'm about to start a basic conversion. Skylight in the roof, solar panel on roof rack with a hole drilled in the roof for the cables to pass through, and basic cabinets, pull out
bed, sink. No permanent gas installation and cabinets will be easily removable.
The plan is to eventually relocate to Spain permanently
and I really want to keep my van so I want to make sure I don't do anything that will make it unable to pass the Spanish ITV later on.
Any first hand experiences? I don't want to register it as
a full on camper and don't want to make any permanent modifications that will make it impossible to register it in Spain. Can I get away with a skylight and solar? Could remove the cabinets before every ITV
if need be. I heard that even a skylight that isn't original from the factory or some holes drilled in the roof to pass cables could be a problem. Is that true?
The van is a 1988 Toyota Hiace 4x4 diesel if
that makes any difference Thanks!

so23

hi

i assume a 1988 vehicle has not coc code so you are restricted to these options:

- you are foreigner from spain and you are going to live here and get local residence and the vehicle belongs to you since more than a year ago, then no problem, its not an import, it will be fine whatever the vehicle is.

- otherwise, the vehicle will need to be 100% original and will get a couple of limitations

Seebop

Cita de: so23 en Junio 11, 2022, 15:22:35 pmhi

i assume a 1988 vehicle has not coc code so you are restricted to these options:

- you are foreigner from spain and you are going to live here and get local residence and the vehicle belongs to you since more than a year ago, then no problem, its not an import, it will be fine whatever the vehicle is.

- otherwise, the vehicle will need to be 100% original and will get a couple of limitations

Yes, I'm a French citizen planning to buy property and become Spanish resident so the first case applies.

Are you 100% sure? I heard that the ITV is very strict about any cutouts, openings or holes in the body that were not there from the factory and that they might refuse to pass a commercial van with a skylight added later and that you had to pay hundreds of euros to have someone certify that the skylight is safe and not compromising the structural integrity of the van etc.

I hope you're right!

luises

First option should apply to you. The problem with the skylight may be that it increases the height of the van and in that case they may say something. The same applies to the solar panel.

I would say that your best option is to legalize those changes in France and get annotations in the french documentation because being a change of residence they will create Spanish docs for your car based on what the French papers say